Harwood Golf Club was founded in 1926 by four Bolton shopkeepers to provide golf competitions on Sundays as opposed to Saturdays when other clubs in the area held their competition day. This is still the case and the Ladies, who started a Golfing Section in 1933, have Wednesday as theirs as this by tradition is half day closing in Bolton. The Golf Club now has 240 full playing men members and, 40 lady members and a thriving junior section. It has teams playing in both the Bolton and Bury Leagues: in 2009 it won the Bury and District Golf Association League and in 2014 were Runners Up in both the Bolton and Bury leagues. The Ladies Teams compete in both the silver and bronze divisions of the Lancashire Handicap Shield And have been hugely successful over the past few years.
The initial course comprised four holes on land immediately behind the Nabs Fold pub and included the fields to the left and right of the existing club driveway. An additional 84 acres were acquired shortly after on which the present clubhouse and holes 1,2,3 and 18 are located to enable a 9 hole course to be built. The length of the course was 4,752 yards, par 68, and as was the custom in those days the holes were named "Toots, Valley, Alps, Blakes, Pavilion, Stiles, Nab, Ponder and Home". The Club subsequently lost the tenancy of the land behind the Nab Gate pub in addition to the 15 acres in front of the clubhouse, some 26 acres of very steep land. This was the field across the stream to the left hand side of the present 4th and 5th greens looking across from the Clubhouse. The land was rough, virtually undrained land on which cattle still grazed, such that the two greens on the land had to be fenced with wires and post to keep the cattle off. The second hole was played from the present first hole back tee straight up the hill to the top of the field. (The outline of the green can still be seen to the right of the big tree on the 6th) The third hole was played from the top of the hill to the green by the stream behind the houses in Bramhall Avenue and after a long walk back across the field the 4th hole was played from the tree in the centre of the field to a green just to the side of the present second green. Two other short holes had to be squeezed into the present land in front of the clubhouse to make the Nine Hole course. In 1961 the club were able to rent 25 acres of land at Bury meadows. The members formed working parties to build the tees and greens. When the new holes were opened the dreaded holes on the 26 acres up the fields were closed.
A little known part of our history is our connection with the Holcombe Hunt: during the 1960s and 1970s the Hunt held their point-to-point races over part of Bury Meadows, the 14th fairway was part of the last circuit, there was a water jump behind the 16th green approached from over the 12th and 13th fairways and they left the course by jumping over the ditch to the right of the 15th fairway.The Sunday after the races saw many members congregate to fill in the divots left by the horses.